Did you know it’s asparagus season here in the UK? It’s such a super time to buy it at the moment as it’s so fresh in the supermarkets and quite often locally sourced! Absolutely one of my favourite vegetables and so versatile, I’ve shared one of my favourite Waitrose asparagus recipes below, give it a whirl!
Chargrilled Asparagus with a Fresh Beetroot Salad
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 500g English asparagus spears
- 160g bag Waitrose Beetroot Salad
- 6 tbsp Grana Padano shavings (or other Italian hard cheese), to serve
- To make the dressing, place 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil with the vinegar, mustard and some seasoning in a screw-top jar and shake well. Alternatively, whisk the ingredients together with a fork in a small jug.
- Remove any woody stems from the asparagus by bending the end of the spears. They should snap easily at the point where the woody part begins.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a griddle or frying pan. Place the asparagus spears in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning the spears once, until they are slightly charred and just tender (you may need to do this in 2 batches).
- Place the salad leaves in a bowl, pour the dressing over and toss lightly. Divide the salad and asparagus between 6 plates. Scatter over some Grana Padano shavings and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Have a great day folks!
One of my many illustrative ambitions is to illustrate a cookbook, so to help me on my way, I started a little personal foodie project last week. To build on my portfolio, as well as practice my photoshop skills, I will be whipping up some scrummy papercuts over the next few weeks… Starting with a Spanish themed table for two!
To create the printed wallpaper in the background I first of all created a little hand papercut pattern (below). After some minor tweeking on photoshop, I then turned this into a repeat print (below below). This is far easier said than done!… So to help anyone who wishes to create their own repeat pattern, I am currently in the midst of creating a little tutorial which I shall post soon.
Thanks for stopping by x
Food and illustration are two of my absolute favourite things… so combining the two, for me, is a recipe for amazingness! Inspired by a very special celebratory Mediterranean meal I cooked, here’s a little illustrated asparagus tapas dish and a compulsory bowl of olives (recipe below!)
Sautéed asparagus, toasted almonds & Manchego cheese
36 asparagus spears
140g unsalted butter
100g whole blanched almonds
Juice of 1 lemon
50g best-quality Manchego cheese
Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and plunge in the asparagus. Cook for 2-3 mins, drain, then leave them to sit somewhere warm.
Next, put the butter into a cold pan with the almonds. Carefully heat it up, watching that the butter doesn’t get too dark. When it just turns golden brown and is beginning to foam, remove from the heat and pour in the lemon juice to stop the cooking.
Arrange the asparagus onto 6 serving plates and spoon over some of the brown butter and almonds. Shave the cheese with a peeler, scatter over and serve.
Thanks for stopping by x