Did you know it’s asparagus season here in the UK? It’s such a super time to buy it at the moment as it’s so fresh in the supermarkets and quite often locally sourced! Absolutely one of my favourite vegetables and so versatile, I’ve shared one of my favourite Waitrose asparagus recipes below, give it a whirl!
Chargrilled Asparagus with a Fresh Beetroot Salad
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 500g English asparagus spears
- 160g bag Waitrose Beetroot Salad
- 6 tbsp Grana Padano shavings (or other Italian hard cheese), to serve
- To make the dressing, place 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil with the vinegar, mustard and some seasoning in a screw-top jar and shake well. Alternatively, whisk the ingredients together with a fork in a small jug.
- Remove any woody stems from the asparagus by bending the end of the spears. They should snap easily at the point where the woody part begins.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a griddle or frying pan. Place the asparagus spears in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning the spears once, until they are slightly charred and just tender (you may need to do this in 2 batches).
- Place the salad leaves in a bowl, pour the dressing over and toss lightly. Divide the salad and asparagus between 6 plates. Scatter over some Grana Padano shavings and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Have a great day folks!
Mine is going to start today! My resolution is to update my blog twice a week so I can share with you not just new work and projects I have completed, but also little snippets of my everyday life! Insights into what inspires and motivates me, behind the scenes photos of projects in the making, glimpses of the scrawled ideas I map out in my sketchbook and the everyday adventures and studio life of a paper cutting illustrator. I’d love for you to join me on my journey! You can follow by clicking the ‘Follow Blog via email’ button to the right.
So, I shall start by introducing another of my passions… Baking! Not baking as many of you will know and enjoy. I like to healthy bake! The sort of baking that doesn’t involve a single gram of butter or refined sugar, but tastes like a sweet dream! I knock a batch of these healthy flapjacks up once, if not twice, a week. You can find the recipe below. Thank me later 🙂
4 large bananas
500g nuts of your choice (I usually use a bag of mixed, but whatever you prefer works!)
100g of raisins/sultanas
Tablespoon of cinnamon
Tablespoon of mixed spice
250g of oats
A radio tuned in to BBC R2 (preferably on a Sunday morn so you can catch Steve Wright’s Sunday morning love songs!) 🙂
- Mash the bananas
- Roughly chop the nuts and add to the mashed bananas
- Add sultanas, spices and oats.
- Shmoosh together until well combined
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and grease with coconut/olive oil
- Add mixture to tray, flatten and bake at 200 degrees C for twenty minutes
- Allow to cool and then slice into snack size portions
Et voila! Thanks for stopping by! X
These two cheeky chappies are the latest addition to the British seaside themed illustration project that I am currently working on. I haven’t thought of a name for this print yet… so if you have any ideas then I would love to hear!
Thanks for stopping by x