Did you know it’s asparagus season here in the UK? It’s such a super time to buy it at the moment as it’s so fresh in the supermarkets and quite often locally sourced! Absolutely one of my favourite vegetables and so versatile, I’ve shared one of my favourite Waitrose asparagus recipes below, give it a whirl!
Chargrilled Asparagus with a Fresh Beetroot Salad
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 as a starter
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 500g English asparagus spears
- 160g bag Waitrose Beetroot Salad
- 6 tbsp Grana Padano shavings (or other Italian hard cheese), to serve
- To make the dressing, place 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil with the vinegar, mustard and some seasoning in a screw-top jar and shake well. Alternatively, whisk the ingredients together with a fork in a small jug.
- Remove any woody stems from the asparagus by bending the end of the spears. They should snap easily at the point where the woody part begins.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a griddle or frying pan. Place the asparagus spears in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning the spears once, until they are slightly charred and just tender (you may need to do this in 2 batches).
- Place the salad leaves in a bowl, pour the dressing over and toss lightly. Divide the salad and asparagus between 6 plates. Scatter over some Grana Padano shavings and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Have a great day folks!